There will be two public hearings on the bypass this week, one on Wednesday, July 13 at 7pm, and one on Thursday, July 14 at 4pm. Both will take place at Lane Auditorium of the Albemarle County Office Building.
- Please plan to attend one or both meetings, and read up on bypass concerns
—learn the facts.
- Increases the risk to our public water supply at the South Fork Rivanna Reservoir
- Impacts local schools: STAB Lower & Middle Schools; Albemarle High School; Jack Jouett Middle School; Agnor-Hurt Elementary School; Greer Elementary School; Ivy Creek School
- Takes 15 acres of school property at the AHS/Jouett/Greer/Ivy Creek complex
- Impacts over 1,500 homes
- Takes over 40 residences
- Costs an estimated quarter of a billion dollars
- Could impact funding for pre-existing locally-approved transportation projects
- Planned northern terminus of bypass is now south of new residential and commercial development. It is unknown if, or how, this can be redesigned to avoid bottleneck at Forest Lakes and Hollymead.
- Charlottesville Tomorrow’s Western Bypass info page, including maps, rendering, impact studies and engineering plans: http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/29bypass.html
- Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO): http://www.tjpdc.org/transportation/mpo.asp
- MPO’s 1997 Bypass Design Report: http://www.tjpdc.org/transportation/reports/archive/bypass.html
- To receive a PDF with maps, photos and renderings, contact CATCO: NoWesternBypass@gmail.com
- Discussion of impact on local transportation project funding: http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2011/07/chart-bypass.html
—start writing: letters to the editor, your Supervisor, Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB), the Governor.
- All supervisors: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Individual supervisors:
- Dennis Rooker: email@example.com
- Duane Snow: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rodney Thomas: email@example.com
- Ann Mallek: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ken Boyd: email@example.com
- Lindsay Dorrier: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MPO: email@example.com (804) 786-221
- CTB: Carol.Mathis@VDOT.Virginia.gov
—attend public hearings (all at Lane Auditorium, Albemarle County Office Building).
- Board of Supervisors: Wednesday, July 13 (meeting 6:00 pm, hearing 7pm. arrive early to get your name on the list to speak). Agenda: http://albemarle.org/upload/images/Forms_Center/Departments/Board_of_Supervisors/Forms/Agenda/2011Files/0713/Agenda.htm
- MPO: Thursday, July 14 (4:00 p.m.) and Wednesday, July 27 (4:00 p.m.)
Charlottesville-Albemarle Transportation Coalition (CATCO)
Charlottesville Tomorrow: http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/29bypass.html